It’s hard to know how to classify this recipe. It’s got the nutrition and myriad health benefits. On the other hand, the flavor is enough to make you think it’s a cheat. I eat these sweet potatoes hot or cold. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, dessert. They’re really good anytime. I really love to keep them at our acupuncture clinic. When things get busy, lunch doesn’t always happen so these can be a lifesaver!
Sweet Potatoes: Mother Natures Pie
When I eat these, I really feel like I am getting a little piece of pie. It’s incredible that there’s no added sugar. I’ve already discussed the health benefits of sweet potatoes here, but the spices used in this recipe really bring out the flavor. Additionally, each has its own health benefits:
Ginger has been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine. It’s commonly used for it beneficial effects on the digestive system, immune system and for mitigating the toxic effects of other medicinals or seafood. Other sources indicate beneficial effects for cardiovascular health, diabetes, and even cancer.
Nutmeg is another Chinese medicine rockstar. It’s long been utilized for improving digestive health and pain relief. Modern research actually shows beneficial effects on the brain due to an essential oil call myristicin. Pretty impressive benefits for a delicious little spice!
Like the previous to Chinese medicine rockstars, allspice has beneficial effects on the gastrointestinal system (increase motility). Additionally, compounds found in allspice have anti-inflammatory effects.
Cinnamon is an incredible herb! In Chinese medicine we use it in a wide variety of scenarios. It’s a hot herb, so used frequently with cold limbs (poor circulation). Additionally, beneficial effects for pain, heart health, diabetes, and even cancer.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1-2 TBSP olive oil
- Dried ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut into ½-3/4 inch thick rounds
- Spread sliced sweet potatoes out on a cookie sheet
- Brush both sides of the rounds with olive oil
- Sprinkle a light amount of each spice onto both sides of the rounds
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes a uniformly soft (yields easily to a knife)
- Eat immediately or store as a snack for later!